ED code or Initial inpatient visit?

NOTAQUITTER

Networker
Best answers
I have been searching for an answer to this question for days so hope someone helps me with this here.
I am working on some inpatient accounts that most of them patient was seen first in ED department. I already know that if the same doctor see the patient in ED and admits the patient to the hospital we should just code the initial hospital visit. However, in almost all of these cases another doctor admits the patient to the hospital and I see a separate "Admission Note" in the chart signed by a different doctor than the one who sees the patient in the ED department.
My question is should I code for the first doctor that sees the patient in ED as initial hospital visit and for the second doctor who admits the patient as a subsequent visit. The problem is on top of all these records it is mentioned that the account is an inpatient account and I should use the POS code 21 for them so I think there is no way I can code the first ED visit as an ED visit when it is documented like this?
Thank you

on the same date, you should code 99281-99285 for the ED visit if the MD is not the admitting physician and the admitting doctor ( not ED) should bill 99221-99223.