Wiki EEG denying for awake and drowsy

lnemeth89

Best answers
I work for a multi-specialty practice and our Neurologist bills for EEG's completed in our office and in the hospital setting. Within the past few months we have had a large number of our EEG's deny stating the records not indicate awake and drowsy and there is a more appropriate code to use. Mostly all of our reports document the level of wakefulness for the patient and they are still getting denied. Has anyone else experienced this issue or know of a work around for these denials?

Our physicians use all the time 95816 and getting paid fees depending on the carrier without problem. Medicaid does not pay if the procedure is done in hospital, because they require pre-authorization, which hospital does not collect. Hope it helps.

Our physicians use all the time 95816 and getting paid fees depending on the carrier without problem. Medicaid does not pay if the procedure is done in hospital, because they require pre-authorization, which hospital does not collect. Hope it helps.
I am not questioning our hospital billing, I am questioning why the EEG's are denying stating the records do not indicate awake and drowsy and there is a more appropriate code to use. Our physician documents explicitly and this error was never a problem until recently.