Wiki Eeg - working with a neurology

apena

Networker
Best answers
I am currently working with a neurology and just found out that the other person that posted the hospital charges. Has been billing 95819-26, but did not know if the patient was awake or asleep during the procedure.

Our doctor only does the reading of the procedure.

I believe we should have been billing 95816-26, since the patient was awake during the procedure.

Also, she has been billing the charge date of when the doctor read the procedure, not when the procedure was done.

I believe the charge date should be done when the procedure was done even though the doctor did not read the procedure the same day.

Please advise.

Eeg

You are correct in regards to the coding. If the patient did not fall asleep, you would code 95816-26.

The date of service should be listed as the date the physician interpreted the reading. It does not have to match the date of the technical component but must match the date the physician dictates the findings.

But in one case, the physician request an EEG to be done on a patient then the patient expired on the date the EEG was done. the physician did not read the EEG till 2 days later. We can not bill for something after the patient expires.

In this case, do we bill for the date it was done.

Please advise.

Eeg

I have always billed for the date the interpretation was done. I have also received denials stating after DOD but I send in an appeal explaining that this was the interpretation of the testing performed prior to DOD and have always been paid. I would perhaps check with the carrier to see how they prefer those cases to be handled. I am in Texas and Novitas instructs us to use the date of interpretation.

I am in Texas also. I will appeal with records, stating the EEG was request prior to DOD.

Thanks for your assistance.