Wiki EGD with removal Pancreatic Stent

rtibbetts

New
Best answers
I have the following procedure to code.

PROCEDURE: Upper GI endoscopy and removal pancreatic stent.

INDICATION FOR PROCEDURE: The patient no longer needs stenting.

INSTRUMENT USED: Olympus therapeutic side-viewing duodenoscope.

FINDINGS: Instrument advanced easily through the mouth into the esophagus. Advanced rapidly through the stomach into the duodenum. The stent was found _____ folds, grasped with a rat-tooth biopsy forceps and removed with gentle traction. The patient tolerated the procedure well.

IMPRESSION: Removal of pancreatic stent.

PLAN: We will see in followup.

There seems to be two though processes on coding this:

Method 1) This is an EGD with FB removal and would code to 43247 (Upper GI endoscopy; with removal of foreign body). I question this as a stent is not a FB as it is an intentionally inserted device.

Method 2) This is a removal of stent (pancreatic) and would code to 48999 (unlisted procedure, pancreas (requires additional report/information to be submitted).

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Rick

Lisa Hopman

:)43247 Would be the correct Cpt . I work for a group of 12 GI doctors and this is a common procedure.

43247 would be the correct one to go with. Even though the stent was purposely placed into the body, it is considered a foreign body for coding purposes

Stedmans Medical Dictionary definition:

anything of material substance in the tissues or cavities of the body that has been introduced there from without, and that is not rapidly absorbable.