Wiki EKG's in MFM office

Best answers
I was just hired by an Maternal Fetal Medicine physicians office. I do have prior OB/GYN Experience and have come to realize that MFM is just a tad different because they primarily deal with more complex pregnancies. My provider just informed me that he is planning on conducting EKG's in the office with them being read by an cardiologist for a flat rate. He states he is having to refer patients out frequently for those EKG's to be conducted at an cardio, family physician or hospital.

My question is would there be some kind of compliance issue with this? Do you think that it would be cost effective and bring in a little more revenue?

thanks

I was just hired by an Maternal Fetal Medicine physicians office. I do have prior OB/GYN Experience and have come to realize that MFM is just a tad different because they primarily deal with more complex pregnancies. My provider just informed me that he is planning on conducting EKG's in the office with them being read by an cardiologist for a flat rate. He states he is having to refer patients out frequently for those EKG's to be conducted at an cardio, family physician or hospital.

My question is would there be some kind of compliance issue with this? Do you think that it would be cost effective and bring in a little more revenue?

thanks
I don't think I can see the full picture. I don't understand the flat rate you mention.

Your physician/billing entity will submit a claim for 93005, while the cardiologist will submit for 93010. I do not think that you can pay the cardiologist a flat rate to not bill for his portion and then bill for the "full" procedure (ie 93000) yourself. Something about that seems off. I suppose the flat fee could work like a referral or something, but I must confess I'm ignorant of how that would work. My only experience with one physician getting paid by another is a sort of incentive program by a hospital to get anesthesiologists to cover uninsured patients' cases.

Also, regarding revenue. If your provider is currently referring out patients who need EKGs, that would imply that he is not currently capable or set up to do EKGs himself, whether for lack of training or lack of equipment or whatever. The capital cost of that equipment and any necessary training should be factored in to any discussions of revenue. I am completely ignorant on how these codes reimburse, and I don't know what an EKG setup will run you, so I can't offer much help with estimates. Anyway, I think you need to do some further research, see if you can get on encoderpro or one of these sites with reimbursement data, look into how much you can expect from medicare and build your model from there.

Last edited: