Wiki EMG - Neurology

t.rock.tara

Networker
Best answers
Does anybody submit E/M consultation codes with EMG's? I question this because in the Neurologic procedure guidelines it states that it is appropriate. Please let me know. Thanks for your all your help.

EMG/Consultation

Hi Tara,

I used to work for a Neurologist who had another Neurologist come to the office every Thursday evening expressly to perform EMG's. This 2nd Neurologist never charged for a consultation because he went straight to the task of performing the EMGs based solely on my docs findings.

However, when an outside physician requested EMGs, they also requested this doctors opinion as to what the diagnosis might be and recommendation(s) for treatment. In this instance, the Neuro performing the EMGs always took a complete history, performed a fairly in-depth examination and rendered a diagnosis based on this examination and on the EMGs and NCV's. He billed a consult with a -25 modifier and the electromyographic studies.

Hope this sheds a little light on the situation.

Joyce

Thank you, Joyce!

This also sparked another question for me. If the Dr meets the pt first does consult then scheduled EMG and NCV, can a E/M service be billed with EMG and NCV with a modifier?

I appreciate your help. This is new to me.

Emg...

You are very welcome, Tara.

Not sure I am reading (understanding) your question clearly. Are you asking that if the doctor sees the patient for a consultation and then proceeds with the EMGs and NCVs ON THE SAME DAY? can be bill both? If that is your question, yes, eg: 99243-25 and then all of your EMG/NCV codes.

If the doctor is meeting the patient just for the consult on day one and does the EMGs/NCVs on another day, then just the consult will be billed on day one and then just the studies on the subsequent day. No modifiers to distinguish between an E&M and a separate service.

I'm thinking that the first scenario best addresses your question.

Let me know if I have succeeded in making this even more confusing - I am notorious for that...lol.

Happy to be able to shed at least a little light for you.

Good luck in your new quest...

Joyce

Emg...

Joyce,
That is exactly was I was looking for. You have answered my question. I can't thank you enough. I wanted to make sure my gut instinct was correct and who better to ask then someone with experience! Have a great rest of the day and thanks again and again. :)

Emg...

Any time! I just think it is a great thing that we can reach out and find answers...sitting in your office with no one to bounce it off of is frustrating to say the least. These forums are a wonderful tool.

If there is ever anything that I can help out with, just let me know...it's a great learning experience to say the least.

Take care,

Joyce