Wiki EMG's performed during surgery

DianaM86

New
Best answers
I need some educational material to show my physicians in regards to EMG's performed during fusions and other spinal procedures.

My doctors keep documenting " Biplane fluoroscopy was used throughout the case along with the EMG monitoring." However, they do not state any specifics on what parts of the body EMG was performed. That sentence is all that is documented.

I am looking for material to support what needs to be documented in order to code accurately for these services. I need educational material for EMG's performed by the physician during a surgery. Please help direct me to the right educational material. Thank you kindly.

Intraoperative EMG

http://www.entnet.org/practice/coding-for-intraoperative-neurophysiology-testing.cfm

The American Medical Association's Current Procedural Terminology (CPT®) does not limit CPT codes to any particular specialty. However, the CPT® introductory language and AMA coding guidance is clear that in order to bill these codes (+95940, +95941, or G0453) the service must be performed by a monitoring professional who is SOLELY DEDICATED to performing the intraoperative neurophysiologic monitoring and is available to intervene at all times during the service as necessary. The monitoring professional may not provide any other clinical activities during the same period of time. In the event the monitoring is performed by the surgeon or anesthesiologist, the professional services are INCLUDED in the primary service code(s) and SHOULD NOT BE REPORTED SEPARATELY. In addition, these codes should not be reported for automated monitoring devices that do not require continuous attendance by a professional qualified to interpret the testing and monitoring.

Last edited by a moderator: