Wiki Endovascular AAA Percutaneous Access

svevans3

Networker
Best answers
Please help.....Am I able to report 34713 for the following access:

"....bilateral CFA percutaneous access was obtained using two per close devices in each artery. 11 French sheaths were placed and stiff wires placed. Over the stiff wires a 14 French was inserted on the left and a 18 French sheath on the right. "

During a AAA repair percutaneous access, I know the sheath must be 12 or larger. Even though the first sheath was 11 and then 14 and 18 were then used, can I bill 34713? Or does the first sheath have to be 12 or larger?

I see you posted your question close to a month ago - sorry for the delayed reply. With your documentation, you can report 34713.50 (or 34713 x2 - based on payer preference). Your sheath on the left was ultimately 14 French and the sheath on the right was ultimately 18 French. Both of those measurements are larger than 12 French so your documentation qualifies for 34713 on both sides. It is quite common for a surgeon to start with a smaller sheath (e.g., 6 French, 8 French, 11 French, etc) for purposes of obtaining angiograms and getting guidewires in place to deploy the endovascular stent graft and then to "swap out" those smaller sheaths for larger sheaths that can deploy the actual stent graft.

I hope that helps :) - have a great night

Kim
www.codingmastery.com