• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten the password it can be reset on our sign in section by entering your registered Email Address or Username here. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..

ERMD treats inpatient in the Emergency Dept

lovealx

Guest
Messages
8
A hospital inpatient falls and sustains a laceration. She is brought down to the Emergency Dept where the ERMD sutures her up and sends her back to the floor. My question is how should the ED visit be billed, if at all? And would billing an outpatient ED service impact the hospital charges?
It has been suggested that I bill the ERMD services with the 21(inpt) POS however wouldn't any ED E/M codes be denied with POS 21? I could bill the laceration repair alone, but I still am uncomfortable billing under POS 21 when the services were provided in the ED not in the hosp.
Ideas anyone? :confused:

Thanks, Leslie
 
It was in the ED

The services were rendered in the ED so that would be the appropriate POS. And if an E&M is documented and medically necessary that would be coded too. I don't think this should affect hospital charges, but I'd defer to a hospital side coder on that one.

Jim
 
Hi Leslie,
I had the same situation in my facility, and the inpatient coder stated that the procedure (ICD-9 Procedure) was coded and went to the ER doctor, but he did not give me enough information to have an ER E/M.

thanks, Sue
 
Top