Wiki esophagoscopy with dilation ,

Best answers
would coding this with a dilator be same as balloon dilation? Done by ENT

esophagoscopy withdrawn and 38 French dilator placed transoral to esophagus set for 5 minutes and withdrawn

43450 for the dilation
43200 for the diagnostic esophagoscopy
there does not appear to be CCI edit

Thank you

You haven't included enough of the operative report here to say for sure, but I think most likely the correct code here is 43214 for the dilation if it was done via flexible a endoscope. The diagnostic esophagoscopy would be inclusive to that code.

The dilation that is coded with 43450 is done via a guidewire, not with a scope - that's a different instrument from the one used in the esophagoscopy which is why there is no CCI edit there.

You haven't included enough of the operative report here to say for sure, but I think most likely the correct code here is 43214 for the dilation if it was done via flexible a endoscope. The diagnostic esophagoscopy would be inclusive to that code.

The dilation that is coded with 43450 is done via a guidewire, not with a scope - that's a different instrument from the one used in the esophagoscopy which is why there is no CCI edit there.
thank you for this clarification on 43450

thank you for your reply , i have 2 and they were done by rigid scope
i was told i could not use complete op notes so i am trying to follow the rules, here is some more info
-- 28 tapered dilator place into esophagus wait 5 min for dilatory going up to 2 french, then i was able to put a 50 French dilator down, then jesberg scope reintroduce passed distal to the stenosis and withdrawn
i do appreciate your feed back

thank you for your reply , i have 2 and they were done by rigid scope
i was told i could not use complete op notes so i am trying to follow the rules, here is some more info
-- 28 tapered dilator place into esophagus wait 5 min for dilatory going up to 2 french, then i was able to put a 50 French dilator down, then jesberg scope reintroduce passed distal to the stenosis and withdrawn
i do appreciate your feed back

Dilation via a rigid scope is coded with 43195. The diagnostic esophagoscopy (43191) is inclusive and not coded separately.

A correction to my post above - dilation by flexible esophagoscopy would be 43220 because 38 French is less than 30 mm. 43214 would be for greater than 30 mm.

Last edited: