Wiki excision and repair codes ?

ltl226

Networker
Best answers
Hello,

Any idea where I can find a list of excision codes that do NOT require repair codes and a list of excision codes that DO require repair codes? It is my understanding 11400, 11420, and 11440 do not require repair codes. I don't want to go through every excision code to see if a repair code is included.

Thank you in advance.

Under NCCI rules, all repairs are included in the codes for excisions that are 0.5 cm or less in diameter, so for any of the excision codes that end in '0' (which are the codes for 0.5 cm or less), if a repair was done it is considered bundled and not reported separately.

As far as all of the other codes (i.e. excision of lesions larger than 0.5 cm), the simple repairs are always included in the excision code, but intermediate or complex repairs (if performed) are coded in addition, per CPT rules.

There really isn't a list of codes that don't 'require' repair codes, there just the CPT and NCCI guidelines as I've summarized. Repair codes are required any time the repair is documented, with the exception of these two situations above.