Wiki excision of heterotopic bone from gluteal muscle

klestes

Best answers
Anyone have any ideas on this one my dr. wasn't sure so he coded it as 27048 but I think it should be 27066. The operative findings reads. Almost a u-shaped elongated heterotopic bone formation adjacent to posterior margin of the gluteal muscle, 2-3 cm, separated from the posterolater corner of the greater trochanter. There was no evidence of heterptopic bone elsewhere, some prominence of the base of the femoral neck. Within the note he says he excised what was found to be true bone formation and his dissection did go deep.

Anyone have any ideas on this one my dr. wasn't sure so he coded it as 27048 but I think it should be 27066. The operative findings reads. Almost a u-shaped elongated heterotopic bone formation adjacent to posterior margin of the gluteal muscle, 2-3 cm, separated from the posterolater corner of the greater trochanter. There was no evidence of heterptopic bone elsewhere, some prominence of the base of the femoral neck. Within the note he says he excised what was found to be true bone formation and his dissection did go deep.

I would probably say 27071 because 27048 is for a tumor, and 27066 is for a bone cyst or benign tumor. By reading what you wrote it is just a piece of bone, it doesn't say anything about a tumor or cyst. So I would say partial excision of bone, deep (27071).