Wiki Exploration of arm - hospital billing

CULINTZ

Networker
Best answers
Does anyone have a recommendation on how to code the following scenario for the attempt to create an AV fistula that was aborted due to the size of the patient's veins and artery? This is for the hospital bill.
The physician documented it in the op note as a left arm exploration. Thanks in advance.

An incision was made in the left axilla, dissection was carried down to the left axillary vein, it was quite small and was not of adequate size to support an AV graft. The ultrasound was then used to visualize the cephalic vein, it looked somewhat small and sclerotic in the antecubital fossa, but it appeared to increase in size along the upper arm. An incision was subsequently made in the antecubital fossa, dissection was carried down to the cephalic vein which was dissected out. Small venous side branches were tied off and ligated using 3-0 silk. The vein was thickened and somewhat sclerotic at the more proximal aspect. The brachial artery was dissected out and encircled with vessel loops. It was soft, but somewhat small in diameter. The patient was systematically heparinized. The cephalic vein was then transected in the proximal aspect. The proximal aspect was oversewn using a 5-0 Prolene. The vein was then attempted to be dilated up using heparinized saline. Unfortunately, the vein did not adequately dilate and I did not feel that it would support an AV fistula. We subsequently used a 2-0 silk to tie off the cephalic vein. Given the size of her veins and the size of her artery, we elected to abort the case.

I would assign the code for the planned procedure and add modifier 74 for a procedure discontinued after anesthesia. If you're unable to determine what type of procedure was originally planned, I would probably go ahead and assign 36818-74 for the cephalic vein transposition since it looks like this was being attempted. It shouldn't really make a big difference because these AV fistula procedures all classify to the same APC and would reimburse the same amount regardless of which one was used.

Thank you for reviewing and responding. Do you know how I can find a listing of the current year APCs online?
The Hospital OPPS files can be found on the CMS Medicare site here:

The list of APC assignments is located in Addendum B, which you can navigate to via the link on the left side of the web page above.