Wiki Extended prolonged time inpatient

Best answers
My provider documented 6 hours face to face time with an OB patient(assessing/reassessing given complications, consults and prolonged CS). MUE for 99418 is 4 units. How can I bill for her time?

Hi there, if you're billing this as a hospital inpatient service, and you billed the primary visit based on time, then check the MUE adjudication indicator for 99418. If it is '3' you can submit the claim and then appeal the denial. For this amount of time it would be worthwhile for the provider to write a letter that explains in detail why the patient needed that amount of care, in addition to submitting the documentation for the service.

As an aside - keep in mind that as of Jan. 1, you can count non-face-to-face time on the same calendar date as the date of service.

My provider documented 6 hours face to face time with an OB patient(assessing/reassessing given complications, consults and prolonged CS). MUE for 99418 is 4 units. How can I bill for her time?
Since you posted this in the OB/GYN forum - Was this an OB patient your provider/practice delivered?? If so, then 99418 is not appropriate. The extended time is part of the delivery. -22 may be appropriate on your delivery code if the additional work is sufficiently documented.
If your provider was not the obgyn (like a cardiologist for example), then I agree with @jkyles.
Don't forget 99418 is an add on code and would be billed with the base inpatient service E&M provided (99223, 99233, 99255).