Wiki External Cause - Jumping From Car

Amanda.Kane

Contributor
Best answers
Morning Everyone!

I have a debate in my office going on right now in regards to the following:

The HPI states a patient jumped from a moving car to escape the other occupants.

The provider picked code: X83.8XXA (Intentional Self-Harm by Other Specified Means).
I do not agree with that code as she did not jump from the car to hurt herself on purpose.

A coworker of mine was looking at code: V48.1XXA (Car passenger injured in noncollision transport accident in nontraffic accident.
I am not sure about that code as I would take a car accident being something such as rolling your car or other similar events.

I was looking at Y33.XXA (Other specified events, undetermined intent).
But I am not sure if I like that either as the intent was known.

Sometimes external causes can be so frustrating. There is a code for falling out of a grocery cart but not for intentionally jumping from a moving vehicle.

Thanks for any help or ideas you can give!

Amanda Kane, CPC, CPMA, CEMC, COBGC

If I go to keyword fall, then vehicle(in motion) it takes me to V89.9xx- Or motor then goes to V87.8xx- Even though unspecified, I thing either of these are better.

If I go to keyword fall, then vehicle(in motion) it takes me to V89.9xx- Or motor then goes to V87.8xx- Even though unspecified, I thing either of these are better.

Thanks Debra,

I looked at both of those codes, my only concern with them is the specificity states vehicle accident and from the rest of the chapter it seems that is a vehicle in a accident that affected the driver/passenger/pedestrian, etc.

Last edited:
I researched the term "Noncollision vehicle accident" and found the following:

Definition Of: Noncollision Crash

Transportation Dictionary BTS Transportation Dictionary

A class of crash in which the first harmful event does not involve a collision with a fixed object, non-fixed object, or a motor vehicle. This includes overturn, fire/explosion, falls from a vehicle, and injuries in a vehicle. (NHTSA3)

Going off this definition I think I will be going with my coworkers line of thinking and use V48.1XXA (Non-Collision/Non-Traffic Accident).

Thanks for the help!

I researched the term "Noncollision vehicle accident" and found the following:

Definition Of: Noncollision Crash

Transportation Dictionary BTS Transportation Dictionary

A class of crash in which the first harmful event does not involve a collision with a fixed object, non-fixed object, or a motor vehicle. This includes overturn, fire/explosion, falls from a vehicle, and injuries in a vehicle. (NHTSA3)

Going off this definition I think I will be going with my coworkers line of thinking and use V48.1XXA (Non-Collision/Non-Traffic Accident).

Thanks for the help!

Amanda - Look first at beginning of Chap 20 for the ICD definition of traffic vs non-traffic!!! Directly under the second heading of Accidents/ (V00-X58) you will see definitions of transport vehicles, etc. --See (c) ---"A traffic accident is any vehicle accident occurring on the public highway..."!! Based on that I would sub-select as Non-collision/Traffic Accident!

Laurie

How about W17.89xA, Y92.810, and Y93.39. This covers Falling from 1 level to another, Car as the place of occurrence, and jumping off as the activity.