Wiki Family practice

Best answers
Hi everyone I’m new to coding, I just passed my cpc but I want to get my family practice certification. Please can anyone help me with what to study, what I can take in, any advice would greatly be appreciated. I have not gone to school my job is funding me to take these so I’m kind of starting from scratch. Please help! Thank you!

As a CFPC, I can tell you that my exam hammered E/M coding HARD. Know your AMA CPT rules for what constitutes an E/M level (NOT the Medicare guidelines for "medical necessity is the overarching criteria", etc) and don't go to sleep on all the other codes in the E/M section that aren't OV (e.g., critical care, emergency, etc.). The 90000 series should also be on your exam, but I can't remember how much

Also know your minor procedures - mostly the 10000 series. YMMV, but I don't think you will see anything from 20000-79999. Can't remember if there was anything from the 80000 series (labs)

If your job is funding this and you have not been through formal training, I highly recommend the AAPC Study Guide for CFPC - get the bundle that includes the study guide, practice exams, and exam

Finally, you will get to bring a separate reference material - I recommend a medical dictionary. Saved me on at least 2 questions. For taking my CDEO exam, I had to show my proctors what I was allowed to bring, so even for the CFPC, I recommend you print out and bring the approved reference materials sheet for the exam to show the proctors. This will definitely save some hassle if you don't have experienced proctors who know that there are other tests besides the CPC

E/M Coding

YouTube offers free videos from CCO's channel that features Laureen Jandrop's guide to understanding E/M coding. Her videos are very informative and FREE!