Wiki Fee for LMN's

IzumiTM

New
Best answers
Our Audiologists are being asked to write Letters of Medical Necessity on every Cochlear Implant that is being programmed in our office. Does anyone charge patient's a fee for Letter of Medical Necessities? TYIA

Providing information to insurance in order to receive reimbursement is part of doing business. You cannot charge patients to do the necessary steps to get paid from your contracted insurance plans.

Providing information to insurance in order to receive reimbursement is part of doing business. You cannot charge patients to do the necessary steps to get paid from your contracted insurance plans.

Thank you! What are your thoughts on Transfer fees? We have many patients who were implanted at another location but are coming to us for their programming. Would charging a transfer fee be appropriate?

Thank you! What are your thoughts on Transfer fees? We have many patients who were implanted at another location but are coming to us for their programming. Would charging a transfer fee be appropriate?

Just to clarify - I assume that you're billing and being reimbursed for the programming with one of the CPT codes in the range 92601-92604?

The CPT book lists what's included and excluded from the code range. I'd review it to see whether the services being provided are all listed as inclusive of the programming CPTs.

If not, there could be something else billable. This isn't my area of expertise, but the specialty societies may have some coding guidance. Perhaps an initial evaluation of some sort may be appropriate if the patient is new to the practice? (I can't say that for sure - it's just something I might research and/or check reputable specialty coding sources for answers.)

Good luck!