Wiki Fee Reduction on Multiple Studies on Same Day

bportcardio

Best answers
Hey! I was wondering if you are seeing the payments for diagnostic testing reduced by 25-50%. Example. Nuclear stress test with an echo on the same day....
We are also seeing The 93015 with the 78452 being reduced. Along with The interp and tech fee for holters.
We are essentially moving all our testing to seperate days, but curious what else is going on in other practices

Refer to CMS Manual System Pub 100-20 transmittal 1149

One time notification shows Eff 01.01.2013, that Medicare is expanding the MPPR policy by applying MPPRs to the TC of diagnostic cardiovascular and ophthalmology procedures. This advanced notice is provided so contractors can begin making the necessary systems changes for the policy to go in effect January 1, 2013.

Policy: The MPPRs on diagnostic cardiovascular and ophthalmology procedures apply when multiple services are furnished to the same patient on the same day. The MPPRs apply independently to cardiovascular and ophthalmology services. The MPPRs apply to TC-only services, and to the TC of global services. For cardiovascular services, full payment is made for the TC service with the highest payment under the Medicare Physician Fee Schedule (MPFS). Payment is made at 75 percent for subsequent TC services furnished by the same physician (or by multiple physicians in the same group practice, i.e., same Group National Provider Identifier (NPI)) to the same patient on the same day.

For ophthalmology services, full payment is made for the TC service with the highest payment under the Medicare Physician Fee Schedule (MPFS). Payment is made at 80 percent for subsequent TC services furnished by the same physician (or by multiple physicians in the same group practice, i.e., same Group National Provider Identifier (NPI)) to the same patient on the same day.

Attachment one shows the Cardiovascular Services Subjected and Attachment two shows the ones for Opthalmology.