Wiki FIBROSCAN

dfanel

New
Best answers
We were told that there is a new code that can be used for fibroscans. We are currently using 91200 liver elastography, the code we can now use is 76981 ultrasound elastography, parenchyma. Is anyone else (in gastroenterology) using the 76981 and getting paid for this?

I am currently trying to find out the same information. My providers want to bill the 76981 but I am concerned that we are over reaching. Of course the company that makes the fibroscan machine is telling them that they can bill 76981.

I am on here looking for the same answer. Our providers are trying to bill in addition to 91200 and all I am seeing are denials. I don't believe they can bill both, they are being told to bill the 91200 with a 26 and the 76981. The higher reimbursement is what they are trying to get, yet all I am getting are denials.

we are billing the 76981 and seeing payment, however not all insurance plans accept this code. Some Medicaid plans want a prior authorization on the 76981 or simply want the 91200.

We just started billing 76981 for our Fibro scans. Blue Cross is one of our largest payers we accept and we are having a very hard time receiving payment for these tests. We are still trying to figure out exactly what Blue Cross accepts for this. Too bad there isn't more information online regarding billing.

We just started billing 76981 for our Fibro scans. Blue Cross is one of our largest payers we accept and we are having a very hard time receiving payment for these tests. We are still trying to figure out exactly what Blue Cross accepts for this. Too bad there isn't more information online regarding billing.
Is it the dx code BCBS is denying? Our company is also being approached regarding billing CPT code 76981. BCBS of MS has a policy for 76981 and it lists dx codes that are covered.

Hi All!

Just wanted to follow up on this thread. I am just getting back into GI. In my previous practice we billed 91200 for Fibroscans. I am now seeing the 76981 should be used, but I have some concerns about using the 76981. That is for imaging elastography. How does the Fibroscan constitute as imaging? We are not performing ultrasounds.

Does anyone have any current literature to support the 76981 without actually performing imaging (ultrasound)? Everything I have found is old and shows to use the 91200.

Code 91200 represents nonimaging liver elastography. This includes mechanical shear wave liver elastography—also known as transient elastography—as well as acoustic radiation force impulse liver elastography—see CPT Assistant, October 2017. An example of 91200 is the FibroScan, which produces a numeric value, not an image. Note that code 91200 is restricted to exams of the liver.

My company is also seeing BCBS denials on fibroscans if anyone can find the DX that they are accepting it would be great if you could share