Wiki Finding a job...

sansdust

Contributor
Best answers
Hello!

I am looking for a coding (or billing) position with no sucess at all!!! I just graduated with my medical billing and coding degree in July 2009 and I obtained my CPC-A in Sept. 2009. However, finding a job without any experience is proving to be almost impossible. :(
I graduated with 3.95 GPA and perfect attendance... still no takers job-wise!!! Any suggestions for an abitious CPC???!!! I REA:LLY want to start my new career!! :)

I look forward to any replies...even if it's just to network! :D

Hope you are all well,
Sandy Stephens, CPC-A
in southern California...

Sandy: You might want to contact officers of local AAPC chapters in your area to help you determine if any local offices/hospitals are participating in the Project Extern or if someone may be willing to take you as an "apprentice". Sometimes if you're willing to intern (no pay) that will at least help you land some experience and your first job reference. Good luck.

This I think is quite common my instructor said that not giving up is half the battle, so hang in there. An internship is a good idea, I just passed my CPC-A so thats what I plan to do. My school hasnt been much help with placement, so I plan to go pass out my resume to Office Managers at various offices along with an offer to help out however needed for one month. When the month is offer politely thank them and move on. Hopefully eventually someone will ask me to stay. Good luck I think we both have our work cut out for us\.

In addition to what has been said before: I suggest to my members that do not have experience to apply for medical jobs that don't require coding--receptionist, scheduler, etc. Apply especially at hospitals. This will get something medical on your resume.
Many hospitals, clinics, and centers are more likely to hire from within-- some even have requirements that internal applicants must be considered first. Even if you are not an experienced coder yet, you will have medical experience and be familiar with their programs and systems.
Hang in there! Four of my members just got their first jobs last month!

I completely know what you are going through. I took a course for medical coding from Jan.09 to June 09 and received my certification in July. I have been looking for work from July till December when I got a job. I thought that I would never find work because I had no experience. But I put resumes out to everything that I could find and did not give up. The job I have now is at the physicians office that my kids go to. I got the job over two other candidates and I am so happy to work for my employers. Just hang in there and someone will give you a chance.
Brent Levandoske CPC-A
New Member Developement Officer
Local Chapter Mattoon, IL.

I would suggest a temp service. I tried for 4 years (yes, YEARS) to get a job at the university hospital here in town. Finally, I applied for the temp placement service within the hospital and was placed as a temp immediately. After working as a temp for 11 months, I was hired into a great position full time. Also, I agree with the others. If you want to start and put your foot in the door with no experience, you might have to start as a receptionist and try to gain more responsibility within your office. Try to learn about the insurance policies and ask for advice once you get comfortable with your coworkers.

Good luck!
Natalie Bush CPC-A
Lexington, KY