Wiki foreign body - coding for incison

PLAIDMAN

Best answers
what are you coding for incison & removal of foreign body - when no foreign body is found.

pt stepped on toothpick she thinks - she was able to remove a portion of it herself. she followed up in office aprox 3 weeks later with pain/redness, my doc did procedure 10120 except he could not find any other portions of foreign body.

would you still bill 10120 ? what dx ?

thanks!

This is an interesting one!....there are the athrotomy codes (28020 thru 28024) if the procedure was performed at a joint. There are also the FB removal codes specifically for feet, ie 28190 thru 28193, which is probably the way I would lean, personally. The physician still performed the work, is the way that I am thinking. For the dx, perhaps you could use 917.8 Anyone else?

This is an interesting one!....there are the athrotomy codes (28020 thru 28024) if the procedure was performed at a joint. There are also the FB removal codes specifically for feet, ie 28190 thru 28193, which is probably the way I would lean, personally. The physician still performed the work, is the way that I am thinking. For the dx, perhaps you could use 917.8 Anyone else?

thank you- I forgot about 28190 - just wasnt sure about dx, I'll give it a shot!!