Wiki Frequency on coding & billing RFA ablation codes 64633, 64634, 64635, & 64636

gelisan

New
Best answers
I have 2 scenarios with a question on frequency of billing the RFA codes 64635/64636 and how to apply the LCD for both scenarios. LCD's limitation of coverage states below.
• For each covered spinal region (cervical/thoracic or lumbar), no more than two (2) thermal RF sessions will be reimbursed in any rolling 12 month year, involving no more than four (4) joints per session, e.g., two (2) bilateral levels or four (4) unilateral levels.

• Repeat denervation procedures involving the same joint will only be considered medically necessary if the patient experienced ≥ 50% improvement of pain and improvement in patient specific ADLs documented for at least 6 months.

Scenario 1:
Provider did an RFA on 3 levels L3-4, L4-5, L5-S1 on the RT side and do the same on LT side a week or 10 days after. These are being billed with 64635-RTx1, 64636-RTx2 then with 79,LT for the other side. After 6 mos, the prov will repeat the RFAs on same levels doing one side then the other side.
On the 1st RFA treatment would you apply the maximum of 2 RF session being met because we have submitted the code 64635/64636 twice? We can also interpret this as not meeting the max of 2 because only one RF treatment was done per side correct? This is how the provider is interpreting it because he knows he is allowed to repeat RFA on the same joint.

Scenario 2:
Provider did an RFA on 3 levels L3-4, L4-5, L5-S1 on the RT side and do the same on LT side a week or 10 days after. These are being billed with 64635-RTx1, 64636-RTx2 then with 79,LT for the other side. A few months later, the prov will do RFAs on different levels in the same spinal region-lumbar. How would you apply the LCD in this case if they only allow a maximum of 2 RF sessions in each spinal region within 12 rolling months?

In the LCD, do you interpret the max of 2 thermal sessions for both sides and for all levels w/in the spinal region and this should be applied per cpt code not per per side, per level?

Please note, other carriers are clear with their limitation of coverage with max of 2 RFA per level, per side in a year, so both scenarios are okay to bill.

Thank you,

I have 2 scenarios with a question on frequency of billing the RFA codes 64635/64636 and how to apply the LCD for both scenarios. LCD's limitation of coverage states below.
• For each covered spinal region (cervical/thoracic or lumbar), no more than two (2) thermal RF sessions will be reimbursed in any rolling 12 month year, involving no more than four (4) joints per session, e.g., two (2) bilateral levels or four (4) unilateral levels.

• Repeat denervation procedures involving the same joint will only be considered medically necessary if the patient experienced ≥ 50% improvement of pain and improvement in patient specific ADLs documented for at least 6 months.

Scenario 1:
Provider did an RFA on 3 levels L3-4, L4-5, L5-S1 on the RT side and do the same on LT side a week or 10 days after. These are being billed with 64635-RTx1, 64636-RTx2 then with 79,LT for the other side. After 6 mos, the prov will repeat the RFAs on same levels doing one side then the other side.
On the 1st RFA treatment would you apply the maximum of 2 RF session being met because we have submitted the code 64635/64636 twice? We can also interpret this as not meeting the max of 2 because only one RF treatment was done per side correct? This is how the provider is interpreting it because he knows he is allowed to repeat RFA on the same joint.

Scenario 2:
Provider did an RFA on 3 levels L3-4, L4-5, L5-S1 on the RT side and do the same on LT side a week or 10 days after. These are being billed with 64635-RTx1, 64636-RTx2 then with 79,LT for the other side. A few months later, the prov will do RFAs on different levels in the same spinal region-lumbar. How would you apply the LCD in this case if they only allow a maximum of 2 RF sessions in each spinal region within 12 rolling months?

In the LCD, do you interpret the max of 2 thermal sessions for both sides and for all levels w/in the spinal region and this should be applied per cpt code not per per side, per level?

Please note, other carriers are clear with their limitation of coverage with max of 2 RFA per level, per side in a year, so both scenarios are okay to bill.

Thank you,
I have a provider asking the same thing. I have reached out to Medicare and still cannot get a clear answer.

I have a provider asking the same thing. I have reached out to Medicare and still cannot get a clear answer.
Hello,
Medicare will cover 2 sessions for 2 levels every rolling 12-month period. If your provider does 1 side one day, then a week later does the other side, that's the 2 sessions. If your provider performs the levels bilaterally (at the same time), then that can be repeated once more in the rolling 12-month period. In our office, I have one provider that splits up the RFA's, but then can't repeat for a year. Another provider performs bilaterally at the same time, so this is provider preference. Not sure what MAC you use, but Noridian put a response to comments that I found helpful:
Hope this helps!