Wiki G0447 obesity counseling

Best answers
Hello coders community!
My question is, can we bill obesity counseling G0447 which is for counseling of obese patients for 15 minutes, if the time exceeds more than half, such as 8-9 minutes?

Hello Hafsamanzoor,:)
Coding obesity involves 2 dx code documentation (block dx E66 and Z68 with fat percentages listed in documentation) if given the information. G0447 can be used for Medicare funded but can use up to 15 minutes. If over 15 minutes no other code to add. Also check CPT 99401 to CPT 99404 is for beh health counseling related to obesity too. Use dx Z71.3 weight counseling last dx code and dx Z71.82 if provider suggest exercise.
I hope helped you just a little bit more. ;)
Lady T

Last edited:
Hello Hafsamanzoor,:)
Coding obesity involves 2 dx code documentation (block dx E66 and Z68 with fat percentages listed in documentation) if given the informaiton. G0447 can be used for Medicare funded but can use up to 15 minutes. If over 15 minutes no other code to add. Also check CPT 99401 to CPT 99404 is for beh health counseling related to obesity too. Use dx Z71.3 weight counseling last dx code and dx Z71.82 if provider suggest exercise.
I hope helped you just a little bit more. ;)
Lady T
Hi, Thanks allot for your answer