Wiki Guidance

jbaader

Best answers
I could use some good advice on this. I have worked at my job for 4 weeks. Was thrown in with not a lot of training the first 2 and a fellow employee that treats me like garbage due to the fact that I am focused and do not socialize much. As I am finally being taught the way the company wants things done, I am finding that the coder on staff, does not know a lot about billing, insurance and CMS guidelines. If a claim gets denied for the DX and I know what to look for, I have to let her know that the claim was denied but I can not assist her in letting her know what the dx should be. She will then let me know that she fix it but when I review it-it is still incorrect. It feel like I am stuck because I know how to fix it because I use to code for the same field prior to moving to this company. My hands are completely tied & can not do anything. With a lot of the coding being done incorrectly by a very inexperience coder that takes things for face value, things are not being done ethically or legally right. I need to work but am lost.

If you are both coding from the same documentation then how does she not select the correct dx code? When you say you know what the correct dx code is I assume you know from looking at the chart note not from what you know will pay. If you are both looking at the chart note then allow her to "teach" you by asking why she has chosen the dx code she has so that it can be discussed. What do you mean by things are not done legally or ethically? If this is the case and you cannot change it then you need to apply now to other jobs.