Wiki H. Pylori CPT Codes & FIT kit CPT

Best answers
Hello all. I was hoping someone would be so kind to assist with the CPT codes for the H. Pylori labs, as well as for the FIT kit ( the alternative to colonoscopy & colo-guard). I struggle to locate them & would appreciate any assistance anyone may offer. Thank you.

Hi Ms Stoval
I have seen providers used the lab fecal testing CPT 82270 87177 87041, with dx code Z12.11 K59.89, R15. R19, K92 if documented on reason for ordering the fecal test. Stomach bx can be lab 87070 88305 with digestive dx or encounter Z code. If lab states does have or positive for the H Pylori is code dx B96.81.
I hope this data helps you
Lady T

Hi Ms Stoval
I have seen providers used the lab fecal testing CPT 82270 87177 87041, with dx code Z12.11 K59.89, R15. R19, K92 if documented on reason for ordering the fecal test. Stomach bx can be lab 87070 88305 with digestive dx or encounter Z code. If lab states does have or positive for the H Pylori is code dx B96.81.
I hope this data helps
Lady T
I really do appreciate your advice TThivierge, and energy and you are so very kind with "some" of your advice to all the coders.
Are you a physician? You can interpret laboratory results and code abnormalities??
If a physician comments on the results, by all means on a laboratory test please code as such that someone has H. Pylori or if it a pathology accession billing 88305 for the pathologist's interpretation states this, please do correctly. I have more to offer.
You may not code a laboratory abnormality unless a clinician/provider states it is abnormal.
B96.81 is inaccurate to apply when solo or primary diagnosis. That is a secondary/supplemental diagnosis. I've seen denials in my analysis.
You know that referring to the ICD guidelines for diagnosis codes B95-B97 it states that "these catego, ries are provided for use as supplementary or additional codes to identify the infectious agent(s) in diseases classified elsewhere".
I am hopeful to clear the mud on H Pylori.
Have a fantastic day!
Best,
Dana

Dana you misread my answer. I did say that definitive dx code is first with digestive dx code. And if lab results show H.Pylori you should use this as 2nd code. I am sure the coder knows lab results are completed & evaluated by a lab physician. The medical coder knows not to guess but have her code supported by documentation.
Lady T