Wiki HCC Documentation for Morbid Obesity - earth is this done

debi7478

Networker
Best answers
Does the provider have to link the co-morbidities to obesity in order to use BMI>30 as morbid obesity? I cannot find any guidelines on this but my providers are stating if there are co-morbidities with BMI >30 they are morbidly obese..... For Risk Adjustment purposes how on earth is this done? and where can I find a rule on this........ PLEASE help;)

Bmi

I do think for sure the provider has to link the Bmi to the obesity because Bmi is used as a secondary code to the obesity. I really hope this helps you!

The patient could weigh 600 lbs, unless the physician specifically documents the patient has Morbid or Severe Obesity, it can't be coded. Regardless of what is clinically considered morbid obesity. Documentation is key on this subject. From my understanding this has not changed from the ICD-9 world.

My trainer made a good point about physicians avoiding saying the dreaded phrase "Morbid Obesity" They can tell a patient that they are dying of cancer but they are deathly afraid of how the patient may react if they have the words morbidly obese in their medical record.