Wiki help 80101

anggand@aol.com

Networker
Best answers
In our office (Pain Mgmt office) we bill 80101 QW for our commerical payers and I was wondering if anybody knew if the Dr can bill the insurance co. for reviewing and interpreting the lab report once he receive the results?

Last edited:
The Dr is billing the insurance for interpreting and reviewing the lab results. It's included in the office visit E/M code.

Drug Assay

FYI as of 4/2010 Medicare will not reimburse 80101,You must code either G0431 or G0434..Check with your payor if they are following Medicare Guidelines..Also you are only allowed 1 unit per DOS

I think the question you were asking is how does the doctor get reimbursed for reading the confirmation lab report not the qualitative report. The only answer I have is...he/she doesn't. Technically, you can't add the physician reviewing the results to the original date of service since it wasn't on the same day. Don't feel bad. Primary Care doctors get screwed out of this decision making effort for lab results every day. It's not fair either way.

NOTE: It is important to note in the chart that the physician has read the report (i.e. initial report). Simply placing the report in chart isn't enough.

Brock Berta