Wiki help identifying which codes to use

CLICLEMME

New
Best answers
How do I know when to use the actual anesthesia codes vs the moderate sedation codes?
The 01990*** vs the 99152*** for example of codes I mean.
My doctors are pain management, and they use MAC for nerve blocks and such. Like a genicular nerve block on a left knee.

This sounds like you will be coding as a flat fee service cpt 99152 and the injection from example above.

Anesthesia codes [00100-01999] are used when timed base case is involved, a whole separate staff, monitoring the patient for the sedation (deep sedation, monitored anesthesia care) entails a whole different encounter record; (anesthesia pre-op note, intraop note, anesthesia post-op care note) from the other physician performing services. You can also find some of the guidelines on AMA CPT book, page 76 Anesthesia Guidelines.

If you need some more of resources for anesthesia coding, check out the post "new to Anesthesia Billing for Orthopedic surgery" there are posted additional resources for anesthesia coding.

This sounds like you will be coding as a flat fee service cpt 99152 and the injection from example above.

Anesthesia codes [00100-01999] are used when timed base case is involved, a whole separate staff, monitoring the patient for the sedation (deep sedation, monitored anesthesia care) entails a whole different encounter record; (anesthesia pre-op note, intraop note, anesthesia post-op care note) from the other physician performing services. You can also find some of the guidelines on AMA CPT book, page 76 Anesthesia Guidelines.

If you need some more of resources for anesthesia coding, check out the post "new to Anesthesia Billing for Orthopedic surgery" there are posted additional resources for anesthesia coding.
I have a question to that then. I have been all over my books trying to figure this out. Maybe I just missed it or am overthinking it?
So whole story.
Pain management clinic. The doctor does injections and stuff. Some of these injections will have a CRNA come in and he does everything anesthesia wise himself. They mark on the paper that it is MAC and do document in and out times.
So that being said, am I overthinking this?? The 99152 description is just messing me up bc I think it is saying that the physician gives the anesthesia and then someone else monitors?? And that makes it not match up to this situation, BUT the Anesthesia codes are mostly surgical and like you said deep sedation. Very few of them mention covering for injections.
I am sorry to seem ignorant to this, anesthesia was my one thing I couldn't get for some reason and now at my job I have been thrown into it kind of. They are getting me a crosswalk book so that should help out too.

a CRNA come in and he does everything anesthesia wise himself.
we have cases that pain management does the injection, and our anesthesia staff will come in and provider the anesthesia service, in this scenario the pain doc will only bill the injections. But in the scenario, you described where the CRNA comes in renders the anesthesia they will bill the anesthesia service, and your pain doc just the injections.
They are getting me a crosswalk book so that should help out too.
I am glad you're getting the crosswalk book and I would recommend the ASA RVG [relative value guide] book as well.

This forum has a lot of knowledgeable people please feel free to ask.