Wiki Help with drug screens please!

Best answers
I have a behavior health practice that has started billing drug screens and I am not sure how to code them. They are doing a Drugs of Abuse screen, reflex confirmation panel, urine, along with an antipsychotics drug panel, screen urine, and an ethanol, quantitative urine. Do these all fall under the 80307 code or are the last 2 separate codes? Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Hi there, this is a very complicated question that depends in part on what sort of CLIA certification your lab has. But for starters presumptive tests are billed with one code and one unit of service regardless of the number of drugs tested.

Has anyone ever billed the G-code without the presumptive 80307? Our lab can not perform the presumptive right now do to supplies and I am unsure if we can bill the G-code without the 80307?

Hello
I have coded for drug screens . They sometimes use CPT codes start with 803- - - with urine or blood samplings. Check out the dx codes of R78.4 ,R82.79 Z02.83 Z13.39 Z02.83 Z01.89 Use dx F12,F10 ,F17, F11, F19, F14, if results come back positive. Review CPT codes look in CPT manual year 2023 pg 602-608 for drug assay per type of sub abuse or chemicals. It states CPT 80320 can be used for alcohol. Alos I have seen docs use cpt 84600 for checking drugs in a patient's system.
I hope helped you some what in this matter
Lady T