Wiki Hemithyroidectomy

carol52

Expert
Best answers
I cannot find a code for a Hemithroidectomy...
is this part of a lobe or "Hemi" meaning one side ?

"Due to the limited size of the mass along with its apparent lack of extrathyroidal extension... a hemithyroidectomy was offered to the patient."
All attachments of the soft tissue to the surrounding thyroid lobe were removed with bipolar cautery until the lobe could be rolled out of its bed
The nodular mass was located in the area directly overlying the trachea and a very clean dissection off the trachea was accomplished.
is this the whole lobe ?
Thanks,
Carol

Hi Carol, :)
I d use the CPT 60210 since it seems surgeon took a portion of one side of the thyroid, not the whole left or right thyroid. ensure put modifier R or L when submitting on claim
Coding tip: When coding thyroidectomy cases, it may help to picture the thyroid as a butterfly with each lobe representing a wing and the isthmus representing the body of the butterfly. Using this analogy, in this case, CPT code 60220 includes removal of either the left or the right wing (but not both) and may include removal of the body of the butterfly attached to the wing being removed (though removing the body is not a requirement in order to make this the right CPT code based on the words “with or without” removal of the isthmus, or “the body” in the description). Is the documentation support dx code E04.1 or E07.9 or D34?
Well I hope this data helps you.
Lady T(y)