Wiki Hiatal hernia repair along with TIF procedure

jrenea77

New
Best answers
I have 3 questions. 1) If a general surgeon does a laparoscopic hiatal hernia repair without mesh, is the correct code 43281? that surgeon leaves the room with patient stable and a second surgeon, a gastroenterologist comes in and does a TIF procedure, but not as a laparoscopic procedure. 2) would the correct code be 43210? And last question 3) Is this considered a co-surgeon surgery to where I would add a 62 modifier? I appreciate any input, thanks in advance!

I had to look up the TIF to see what it was and it sounds like a good option to add to the hiatal hernia repair. What you have to consider is approach, the target, and what exactly was done at the target.
Was the first procedure esophagomyotomy, esophogastric or paraesophageal so you can code the first procedure.
The second procedure is endoscopically accomplished so that is a totally separate surgical approach and area. I don't believe it's considered a co-surgery because each surgeon took care of his entire procedure from different approaches.
Are you coding the facility side or physician side of the case. Be sure to check the code description with the op note description to assign the code.

I had to look up the TIF to see what it was and it sounds like a good option to add to the hiatal hernia repair. What you have to consider is approach, the target, and what exactly was done at the target.
Was the first procedure esophagomyotomy, esophogastric or paraesophageal so you can code the first procedure.
The second procedure is endoscopically accomplished so that is a totally separate surgical approach and area. I don't believe it's considered a co-surgery because each surgeon took care of his entire procedure from different approaches.
Are you coding the facility side or physician side of the case. Be sure to check the code description with the op note description to assign the code.
I apologize, it was a paraesophageal hernia. And I agree with your comment, thank you!!