Wiki Hip fracture removal of implant, but new screws back in ...

debellis59

Networker
Best answers
We have a patient coming in tomorrow that had a hip fracture. The screws are being removed along with the plate... so 20680. At the same time, the provider is replacing the screws (for support) but not the plate. Would I just use the 20680 or 20680-22, or is there something else? I can't find anything on this.

Thank you,

Deb

Why the replacement?
If not for post op or fixation pain I would stay in the fixation as if being done again
per the coding tip in CPT book above code 27197 states that "codes for tx of fx and joint injuries are categorized by the type of manipulation (reduction) and stabilazation (fixation).

Why the replacement?
If not for post op or fixation pain I would stay in the fixation as if being done again
per the coding tip in CPT book above code 27197 states that "codes for tx of fx and joint injuries are categorized by the type of manipulation (reduction) and stabilazation (fixation).
This is actually for an intertrochanteric fracture. S72.141A. I should have made that clear. Thank you.

I found a CPT Assistant Novemeber 2015 page 10 for screw implant removal and replacement one month post op and suggests using unlisted.
When I pathed in encoder went with replacement, fixation, internal, femur 27599 also 20680 no edits:)
I would go this route since the plate isn't being replaced.
Have a good day!

I found a CPT Assistant Novemeber 2015 page 10 for screw implant removal and replacement one month post op and suggests using unlisted.
When I pathed in encoder went with replacement, fixation, internal, femur 27599 also 20680 no edits:)
I would go this route since the plate isn't being replaced.
Have a good day!
Thank you.