Wiki HIPPA Violation or not??

mstroy

Best answers
I work in a Health Office. Because my company does not offer employee health insurance; most staff utilize the medical services offered through our Health Office. I was recently approached by my coworker (Health Office Coordinator) that our Director had asked her to reveal information related to my Health Office visit the week prior. My coworker relayed to our Director that she could not release that information due to privacy policies. I was then approached by a second coworker (Administrative Assistant; who processes and pays office bills) that our Director requested the same information from her. She also did not release the information. I do not see a relevant reason our Director would "need to know" the information and/or reasons for my Health Office visit. I had adequate Sick Leave available and followed the proper procedures of using my Sick Leave for my Health Office visit. My Health Office visit does not go against any requirements or procedures in place for an employee to utilize the medical services provided by our office. My classification and eligibility requirements, along with all the proper processes, were in place to allow me to be seen through the Health Office. Our Director had asked both coworkers "why I had been seen in the Health Office" and "if I had used Sick Leave" for my time-off. There is SO much more to this incident; but, given the stated above, I am wondering if our Director violated my HIPAA rights or not? :confused:

It was not proper for her to request the information, however no violation has yet occurred since none was revealed. If she were to somehow access the records herself, then you would have an issue.

It was not proper for her to request the information, however no violation has yet occurred since none was revealed. If she were to somehow access the records herself, then you would have an issue.

I agree with Debra! And I'll add that perhaps the Director needs a HIPAA privacy refresher!