Wiki Hospital charge?

companey

Networker
Best answers
I have a doctor who goes to the hospital and does procedures. Besides billing for the procedure he wants to bill for his time doing a H&P on the patient. Is there a code he should use or can he only bill for the Procedure itself? He tried with a est. e&m code but place of service is at hospital not office? Any help will be greatful.

Thank you,
Jessica companey, CPC

I have questions before I can answer

I have questions before I can answer you.

1) Is the doctor a surgeon?

2) Are these scheduled procedures?

If the patient has been scheduled for the procedure, the surgeon is already being paid for the E/M. The reimbursement for the procedure includes the appropriate initial hospital visit evaluation of the patient.

You mention he tried to code an established office visit? That makes no sense at all! Maybe you can clarify with some specifics of the case.

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

Last edited:
Sorry I wasn't more specific. My doctor is not a surgeon. He is Neuro-ophthalmologist and these test he does at the hospital are specific for his field. They need to be done at the hospital because the patient is hooked up to a IV. I just want to make sure we are not doing anything were not supose to.

thanks

Scheduled procedure

So the patient has been scheduled for the procedure ... correct?

If so, the reimbursement for the procedure includes the basic E/M service. You would not code the E/M separately.

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC