• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten the password it can be reset on our sign in section by entering your registered Email Address or Username here. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..

Hospital Charging for IV Infusion/Injection Start and Stop Times

MRKOCUREK

Guest
Messages
30
:rolleyes:
Medicare's guidelines state that hospitals must record start and stop times for all IV infusion/injection in order to bill the time charge appropriately. We have a big challenge with this hospital wide, as our equipment is an automatic procedure in which we document the start time and it runs continuously until it shuts off. Most times, the nurse is not in the room to document the stop time. How are we supposed to document the stop time in this situation. Does Medicare want everyone to sit in the chair and look at every drop until it finishes. I cannot be the only one with this issue.



Everyone's thoughts????
 
Infusion start stop time

What you can look at is the nurses documentation if they hang a medication and it is to run for say over one hour; they should document in their notes that they started it at Time A and stopped at time B, noting if there were any problems with infusion or if it infused without problems. From my background of nursing, when we go back to a patients room and their IV medications have ended, I document the time I take down the medication bag; now the machines they use for their infusions, does it have a read out of the times started and stopped? Something within the device they can go in and look at the infusion time etc, rate etc.

Not sure if this will help but this is what I encountered when I worked in nursing. :o
 
This has been one of my facility's biggest improvement goals this year. I do Interventional Radiology and Cardiology coding and we were able to use our hemodynamic measurement system to chart the start and stop times of our infusions. This has been a huge lifesaver. For other procedures that don't utilize this system I do a 100% audit of all of our operative pathways to see if infusion start and stop times are documented. If they aren't there I bring them back up for late entries. It has been laborious, but after a year we are finally seeing significant documentation improvements in my service and in others. Good luck!
 
Top