Wiki Hospitals without walls - ASC as a temporary hospital?

CarlyMae

Best answers
I bill for a number of ambulatory surgery centers in California and given the current COVID issues, we are looking to enroll with CMS as a hospital as part of the 3/20/2020 federal guidelines announcing hospitals without walls. We are looking for guidance on how to bill Medicare as a hospital, as our team is only familiar with ASC and Physician billing.

Anyone who is familiar with billing OUTPATEINT procedures to MEDICARE as a HOSPITAL - can you outline your billing processes? Visits will be <24 hours, but we are unclear if we submit claims on a HCFA or UB form, and what billing guidelines we should follow to ensure compliance. Our Medicare contractor is Noridian.

Let me know if any additional details are needed. Thank you in advance!

Be aware that your ASC status will be deactivated during the time that you are waivered as a hospital.

You submit on a UB04.

This isn't really something that someone can teach you in a few minutes.

Be aware that your ASC status will be deactivated during the time that you are waivered as a hospital.
Yes, we're aware our ACS status with Medicare will be deactivated

You submit on a UB04.
We already submit UB04's as an ASC to many of our commercial payers, so thankfully are very familiar with the form!

This isn't really something that someone can teach you in a few minutes.
I guess I am hoping to get some guidance or direction from others in the same boat or anyone familiar with hospital outpatient surgery billing, particularly as it compares to ASC billing. Our doctors are anxious to make the change, but our billing team is scrambling to figure out how it will work logistically. CMS hasn't provided many details other than how to enroll...