Wiki How are your RVU totals determined?

Best answers
Hey, folks!

So, there's been a bit of discussion where I work based on how RVUs are currently being determined, and I thought I'd just toss out a general question.

When your company calculates RVUs for your providers, do they calculate them based on the date of service, the date the provider dropped the charge, or the date the charge gets pushed out the door?

Also, how long does your company give the coders to review and finalize charges for any given month after the month is over? Do you need to have all claims for that month done that month, do they give you a day or two into the next month to finalize things before closing the books on that month, or do you get "a week, max" if you have to code every single claim?

Thanks to anybody willing to share their information!

For the company I work for, it’s determined by the date posted. The company sets best practices that services should be posted within a certain number of days. But even if I post something beyond the recommended days, of course the provider would still get the credit, just for the month in which it was posted.
The books are all closed by the system automatically the last evening of the month. System goes down at 5pm. Anything by then posts that month. Anything posted after the system comes back up in several hours is the next month.
I hope that helps.

Hey, folks!

So, there's been a bit of discussion where I work based on how RVUs are currently being determined, and I thought I'd just toss out a general question.

When your company calculates RVUs for your providers, do they calculate them based on the date of service, the date the provider dropped the charge, or the date the charge gets pushed out the door?

Also, how long does your company give the coders to review and finalize charges for any given month after the month is over? Do you need to have all claims for that month done that month, do they give you a day or two into the next month to finalize things before closing the books on that month, or do you get "a week, max" if you have to code every single claim?

Thanks to anybody willing to share their information!
In my experience, most practices calculate RVUs based on service date. This will encourage them to get their encounters close and procedure note submitted in a timely manner. On that same note, when I work with practices, I recommend that they allow 3-5 business days after the end of the month so that remaining charges can be coded and entered. I have found that providers really prefer this, too.