Wiki How did you get started with your coding career?

snonno

New
Best answers
I have my CPC-A and currently work as a biller/front desk for a dental office. I have been looking to advance my career and am having little luck even landing interviews. I've been looking for coding and billing positions but am wondering if I should be looking for other positions. What position did you start in to begin your coding career?

Last edited:
Hi Snonno

I can assist you but give a little bit more insight about your challenges and why would you be looking for a billing position when you already work as a biller for a dental office???

Thank you,
Rajinder Singh Dhammi, CPC, CPB

Hi Snonno

I can assist you but give a little bit more insight about your challenges and why would you be looking for a billing position when you already work as a biller for a dental office???

Thank you,
Thank you for your help! The office I work at is very small with no actual billing or coding department. I haven’t found much luck with finding coding positions that accept CPC-A as a credential and my hopes were if I could get into a larger company, with billing and coding departments, as a biller that that position could eventually lead me to a coding position.

Thank you for your help! The office I work at is very small with no actual billing or coding department. I haven’t found much luck with finding coding positions that accept CPC-A as a credential and my hopes were if I could get into a larger company, with billing and coding departments, as a biller that that position could eventually lead me to a coding position.

Hi Snono,

I have a good prospect. Would you like to be a part of it??? Kindly share your number so that we can talk further

Thank you,

I am still technically starting mine, but I started at a revenue cycle company doing the footwork for claim audits. Learned a lot there. Now I am a claims analyst II working on resolving the rejected claims. I am learning a lot here. Both will be a valuable experience if I decide to get coding only type of job.

In other words, you may not just jump into a coding job, but you can learn a ton about coding jobs by doing the ancillary work around it.

Also, I am continuing my education....I have completed the CEMC course, an HCC course, and I am taking a COC course now. I will probably take the CRC exam at some point, the others are just to broaden my knowledge.

I have been out of work for 7 years (took time to raise my kids), but I'm trying to jump back into it. I went to a technical school to obtain my medical billing and coding education and got an internship that lead to full time work. I also got my certification after graduating. When my internship turned to full time employment I mainly worked with billing and insurance issues. Now I would like to get into more of the coding aspect of the medical field, but I have no idea where to start. I have kept my certification through AAPC current, but that's not enough for employment. Every coding job I have seen listed requires at least a year coding experience and even though I know I'm a quick learner, I don't feel prepared enough to just "apply" and see what happens. How can I find a job that is truly entry level?