Wiki How many coders do you have in your clinic?

fltbaroque

Guru
Best answers
I've been begging for help in my clinic and wonder if I'm off base. We have 8 surgeons (3 of them spine), 4 midlevels, 1 physical therapist and 2 PTAs. I code and post all of the encounters for all patients (1000 per week), plus code and post all surgeries. Also have to enter/verify insurance and demographics when it's not done before the charges get to me. Some think I'm just "data entry". GEEZ.
Anyway, I'd like to know if other coders have similar responsibilities/work load.

Thanks!!

You way overworked. There is no way for you to do all that in a week and be accurate, especially with spine. I code just surgeries for seven busy ortho docs, none spine, and these keep me very busy.

You way overworked. There is no way for you to do all that in a week and be accurate, especially with spine. I code just surgeries for seven busy ortho docs, none spine, and these keep me very busy.
Thanks for the info. I need to have an idea of what other coders are doing so I can take it to my boss! :)

For the client I work for 10 per hour for E&M only, 6 per hour for surgery is the expected productivity. I think this is pretty much in alignment with AHIMA standards. That does not include time for other activities like verification of insurance.

For the client I work for 10 per hour for E&M only, 6 per hour for surgery is the expected productivity. I think this is pretty much in alignment with AHIMA standards. That does not include time for other activities like verification of insurance.
10/hour for E/M visits has been the standard expectation for the employers I've coded for as well.

I'm the only coder in an orthopaedic office with 8 doctors and 2 PAs. We have two other billers who process some clinic and PT encounters. I do some encounters for 4 doctors and code and enter all the surgery claims, do audits and training. I sometimes have to verify insurance; some can be verified electronically through our system. You shouldn't have to enter all the insurance profiles (our front office staff does that task) and you shouldn't be responsible for all of the encounters. We don't do spine surgeries and those are way more complicated. Ask for help and a raise.