Wiki How many days until signature not vaild?

cupcakes82

Contributor
Best answers
Hi I am having a brain fart. A providers' signature is not valid if the signature date is more than how many days from DOS?

The first place that I would look for guidance is your own company. I'm almost positive that they would have set their own guidelines for this and usually lock providers out of electronic documentation after the time limit has been met. If I remember correctly CMS on the top end gives a week but they usually want the office visits to be authenticated within a few days primarily. I'm sure "Thomas" will respond soon and give you a more specific answer.

I'm sure "Thomas" will respond soon and give you a more specific answer.

Goodness, am I getting such a reputation here? Maybe it's time for me to retire. :)

The first place that I would look for guidance is your own company. I'm almost positive that they would have set their own guidelines for this and usually lock providers out of electronic documentation after the time limit has been met. If I remember correctly CMS on the top end gives a week but they usually want the office visits to be authenticated within a few days primarily.

Yes, I agree, specific time requirements for signatures are a matter of organizational policy. Coders are not usually asked to be the ones to police this because most EHR systems can track these delays and management or compliance will usually take any necessary action for providers who are not adhering to the requirements.

CMS, as far as I'm aware, has only stated that a provider "may not add late signatures to orders or medical records (beyond the short delay that occurs during the transcription process)" without giving further guidance about a specific time frame for that delay. But CMS may allow for providers in some cases to submit attestations after the fact is a signature is omitted. Here's a good document to reference:

Goodness, am I getting such a reputation here? Maybe it's time for me to retire. :)

Yes, I agree, specific time requirements for signatures are a matter of organizational policy. Coders are not usually asked to be the ones to police this because most EHR systems can track these delays and management or compliance will usually take any necessary action for providers who are not adhering to the requirements.

CMS, as far as I'm aware, has only stated that a provider "may not add late signatures to orders or medical records (beyond the short delay that occurs during the transcription process)" without giving further guidance about a specific time frame for that delay. But CMS may allow for providers in some cases to submit attestations after the fact is a signature is omitted. Here's a good document to reference:

Thank you for replying! My question was in reference to hypothetical - the doctor signed the note on January 1st 2020 how long can we ask risk adjustment coders use that document? how many days after, is it a year or 60 days or is there an amount?