Wiki How many laminectomy levels to bill?

JoannaParz

Contributor
Best answers
Hello all!

I need Laminectomy help!!

How would you determine how many levels to bill when a provider is documenting a laminectomy.

"A Kocher was places on the inferior aspect of the L3 spinous process and a lateral fluroscopic image was obtained. After this was done a Leksell ronguer was used to remove the spinous processes in the dorsal aspect of the lamina from L3 through S1 a straight and curved curette were then used to free the ligamentum flavum from the remaining surfaces of the laminas. A kerrison 3 was used to remove the remaining lamina from L3 through S1 there was a significant amount of hypertrophic ligamentum flavum identified before the lamina."

How many levels would you bill 3 or 4. I'. hoping for perfect documentation like "L3 through and including S1" or "L3, L4, L5 and S1" but that doesn't always happen.

One more question.. if you have time ... if they decompress an addition level without removing the spinous process does this count as an extra level.. for example if the physician states he did laminectomy on L3 and L4 but decompressed the exiting nerve root of L5 as well, would that be 3 levels billed in total ? I've been told this this an extra level but unless he removes the spinous process and lamina I dont think I can.

I'm new to spine coding and can use all the help I can get!

thank you!!!