Wiki How to Code an Unspecified Infection / Inflammatory Reaction Due to Prosthetic

KStaten

Guru
Best answers
Hello Everyone! 😊

If a physician states that a patient has an "infection due to a prosthetic," (such as an infected knee following an arthroplasty) but does not specify the type of infection, can we still use T84.5_XA, and if so, what code do we use in conjunction with it? (I am not seeing a code for an unspecified infection.)

T84.5 - Infection and inflammatory reaction due to internal joint prosthesis.
Use additional code to identify infection (?)

Thank You in Advance!
Kim

Hello All! :)

I am still needing help with this one and would appreciate advice. I am not seeing a code for unspecified agent as the cause of infection, and so I am wondering if the following would be appropriate to pair with T84.5XA: B99.9 Unspecified infectious disease. Or, am I coding this completely incorrectly from the start? :unsure: Often times, physicians will refer to an "infected total knee replacement," but neither he/she nor the lab work states the specific infectious agent/ type of infection. If you've read any of my other posts, I'm sure you've concluded that I tend to overthink things, so I appreciate your patience and help.

Thanks!
Kim