Wiki HPI and 1995 guidelines

Love Coding!

Expert
Best answers
Would this be accurate to say that under 95 guidelines if there is no chief complaint that you can use 3 chronic or inactive conditions? Or does this apply only to 97 guidelines? I thumbed through the CPT book couldn't find an answer and emuniversity.com states you can only use 3 chronic or inactive conditions under 97 guidelines...

Please help!

Thanks,

dscoder74

HPI vs Chief Complaint

The chief complaint must be stated on all documentation.

The HPI can be either the elements (location, quality, severity, timing, duration, context, modifying rfactors, associated signs/symptoms) OR the status of 3 chronic conditions.

This "3 chronic conditions" was added with the 1997 guidelines, but was never stated that it could apply to the 1995 guidelines. Nevertheless, some carriers will allow you to "mix" the 1997 and 1995 guidelines by accepting the 3 chronic conditions for HPI while still using the 1995 guidelines for the exam.

Check with your carrier. And be sure to include the protocol in your practice's compliance plan.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

Would this be accurate to say that under 95 guidelines if there is no chief complaint that you can use 3 chronic or inactive conditions? Or does this apply only to 97 guidelines? I thumbed through the CPT book couldn't find an answer and emuniversity.com states you can only use 3 chronic or inactive conditions under 97 guidelines...

Please help!

Thanks,

dscoder74

It is highly recommended that they state a CC, but not required. As long as it can be clearly inferred from the note, that is acceptable.

Thank you!

Thanks to all of you, I have been up to my ears with dictation. Sorry for the late response, until next time....

Have a great day!

dscoder74