Wiki HTN, CKD, DM II

daporek

Best answers
I know the guidelines state to assume a casual relationship between CKD and hypertension, and with CKD and diabetes unless documentation states they are not related. If a patients records lists the patient as having DMII with CKD, Hypertension, and Heart Failure, do we still assume a relationship between the CKD and Hypertension? A co-worker told me if the patient's records state a patient's CKD is related to their DMII we can't assume a relationship between the CKD and hypertension unless the patient's records has hypertensive CKD listed. If a patient's records states the CKD is due to their DMII, does that mean we can no longer consider it related to their hypertension? Does that count as documentation that the CKD and hypertension aren't related?

no there is a combo code for hypertension with ckd and heart failure. remember guidelines that with is to mean with, in, or due to documentation wouldn't be needed to link any of these.
I13.0, N18.9, I50.9, E11.22
Hypertensive heart and chronic kidney disease with heart failure and stage 1 through stage 4 chronic kidney disease, or unspecified chronic kidney disease

Use additional
code to identify type of heart failure (I50.-)
Use additional
code to identify stage of chronic kidney disease (N18.1-N18.4, N18.9)