Wiki Hydration Guidelines

sroller

New
Best answers
I just started a new job for an oncology clinic and they have a cheat sheet. This cheat sheet says that for hydration to be billed the volume of the bag has to be greater than 500mL per individual IV...I am having an issue with this because I can't find anything that states that is a requirement to billing. Does anyone know if this is true? The MAR reads as follows:

sodium chloride 0.9% NS BOLUS injection 500mL 13:25-13:59 (34min) rate 999mL/hr
sodium chloride 0.9% NS BOLUS injection 500mL 14:59-15:32 (33min) rate 999mL/hr

It is a MCR guideline which has been adopted by most payers as well, so it would make sense that your clinic applies this across the board

"Rehydration with the administration of an amount of fluid equal to or less than 500 mL is considered not reasonable and necessary"

It is a MCR guideline which has been adopted by most payers as well, so it would make sense that your clinic applies this across the board

"Rehydration with the administration of an amount of fluid equal to or less than 500 mL is considered not reasonable and necessary"
Thank you for the info! I was thinking that this may be the case but I couldn't find any reason as to why. Is there any coverage guidance documents for this or a link you can provide with this info?

Awesome, thank you for that. I was able to find the CMS article L34960 which states what ncbcoding quoted, but it's retired and there is no new article in place. I am just at a cross roads of whether it should be billed or not but for some of our patients that's all they come in for and I find it challenging to do a DNB for their visit for that day. Usually, it is seen with a discontinuation of a pump and they will get the NS 500mL afterwards so we have just been charging for the flush.