• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

I&D Abscess (10060) with office visit and preventative visit

mosmith

Networker
Best answers
Good morning everyone. I have an established pt that came in the office for a well child check, but also had a sick visit and I&D Abscess.

Can I bill the offc E/M, prevent E/M, and 10060? Would all get reimbursed as long as I have Mod 25 on the sick visit?

dballard2004

True Blue
Best answers
I will wager an opinion here.

If the additional E/M was significant and separately identifiable above and beyond the usual pre and postoperative work of the I & D, then you may report it with modifier 25 appended. I can't speak to reimbursement, but I would suggest talking with the payer in question here for further guidance.

I am not for certain here, but since you have two, significant, separately identifiable E/M services (the well child check and the additional office/outpatient E/M), you may need to append modifier 25 to the well child E/M as well. This may be payer specific, but I think you could have a potential problem with the payer bundling the well child E/M into the I & D.

Hope this helps and again this is my opinion.

Last edited: