Wiki Icd-10 - I wasn't sure

bosco

Networker
Best answers
Hi,

I wasn't sure where to put this post. We are mock coding charts in icd-10 in preparation for the conversion.

The doctor's order for radiology states " left arm weakness". There is a difference of opinion in my office as to whether the correct code is R53.1 or
R29.898.

I'd appreciate any feedback/opinions on this question.

thanks!

This is a very interesting case to present.
First, if this were sent to my radiologist, I would ask submitting provider for more information, is just weakness valid for an x-ray? Perhaps a more definitive diagnosis would be better, i.e. fibromyalgia, or RA.
In this case the code that you would have to use comes from the Symptoms, Signs, & Abnormal Clinical & Laboratory Findings [or as I like to say Results, Signs & Symptoms] and is R53.1 for Weakness; which is a general code, not very specific. The use of R29.898 is for Other symptoms and signs involving the musculoskeletal system; which one would not know if the weakness was from the musculoskeletal system, or nervous system, or circulatory system.
thanks
Carl

The category R53 is for malaise and fatigue and R29 is Other symptoms and signs involving the nervous and musculoskeletal systems M62 is other muscle disorder
If documented as just arm weakness, then I suggest the R29.898 is the most correct.

Thanks Debra. A couple of us coded this as muscle weakness from signs & symptoms. Our manager, who is reviewing our coded said that was wrong and to use the malaise code. Just wish there was a way to have a conversation when there is a difference of opinion with the manager.

But malaise is not the same as arm weakness. I wish they would learn to look at the category to know when a code is correct. The reason there is a decimal in the code is to illustrate that the characters assigned represent an extension of the category.