Wiki Icd 10 - My question is

chrysel

Contributor
Best answers
Hi,
My question is for a post-op visit. Can we use the Z09for all post-op visits? It has excludes 1 note after it... it says it does not include aftercare following medical care. It points you to Z43- Z49 and Z51.We are a pain management and orthopedic office. Then you also have Z47.89 encounter for other orthopedic aftercare
Z48.89 encounter for other specified surgical aftercare.
Could you please guide us in the right direction here as to what could we use for post-op visits.

Thanks
Chrysel

If the post op visit is a surveillance only and nothing is being done such as dressing changes then the Z09 is correct. If the provider is stll managing any part of the surgical event, ie. Fitting and adjustments, dressing changes, etc then the aftercare codes are correct.

Icd 10

Thanks Debra.

I understand that there are aftercare codes for dressing changes and suture removal, but we are talking about the post op visit where the patient comes in to discuss how is progressing and he's doing fine... nothing from the Z48 category is done.... maybe he gets a script to start physical therapy or maybe a prescription or maybe he doesn't get anything but an appointment for the next post op visit and he is STILL in the post op period at this visit. Is Z09 still right for that?

Thanks
Chrysel