Wiki ICD-10 Amounts To An Unfunded Mandate

ABridgman

Best answers
I am posting this here, because when I TRIED to post a comment directly in the News Article here
http://news.aapc.com/senate-passes-sgr-bill-no-icd-10-delay/

it would not let me post a comment, it kept telling me I had the CAPTCHA Code wrong, even when I didn't.

This is what I WANTED to post there...

I am looking forward to implementation of ICD-10, but I am a little miffed about the fact that this amounts to what politicians call an "unfunded mandate" for us coders who are independents, like me.

They mandate we use the new code set...which requires expensive courses, for which we have to pay out of our own pockets, with no ROI other than the ability to continue the job we have already been doing.

Those who work for a provider who paid for the training, or for a coding company who paid for the training, all THEY had to do was invest the time. Independents like me have also had to pay the exhorbitant costs of this training, with the government funding none of it, the providers we serve funding none of it, and with absolutely no ROI other than the ability to continue doing the job we have already been doing.

I feel like - since the government has made this change, and are forcing all of us to use the new code set...they should have at least subsidized the training, seeing as ICD-10 is a major revamp of the diagnosis code set (unlike the implementation of ICD-9 from ICD-8 which was just a tweak of the existing code set.)

One good thing, though, is the repeal of the Medicare SGR, meaning we no longer have to wait and wonder with last-minute doctor-fixes.

I too work independent but you do not need to pay for classes and training, you can learn this all on your own as I did. The only out of pocket I have spent was for the proficiency exam which I passed with no problem.

I agree with Debra. I recently passed CPC exam/ICD-9 and then learned ICD-10-CM on my own by studying the guidelines in the front of the book and by coding ~400 scenarios obtained for free from the internet. I also did well on the proficiency exam.

I do not agree with this. You can find free resources for ICD-10 training. ICD-10 functions just the same way as ICD-9 does, it's just expanded with a few updates in the coding.