Wiki ICD 10 Code Z79.890

Best answers
Question: If a patient has hypothyroidism and is on Levothyroxine is it appropriate to add the Z79.890? This is for Medicare patients. Auditors had said that we need to use this for hormone replacement. I get that, but if the patient is using it for a medical reason, do we still need to add this diagnosis? Thoughts?

The auditors in the organization I work for submitted this same question to the AHA and received a written response back that Z79.890 is the correct code to report for patients on long-term medication to replace the thyroid hormone due to hypothyroidism. Whether or not you need to use it would, I guess, depend on the documentation as to whether or not this was a relevant factor in the particular patient encounter.

The auditors in the organization I work for submitted this same question to the AHA and received a written response back that Z79.890 is the correct code to report for patients on long-term medication to replace the thyroid hormone due to hypothyroidism. Whether or not you need to use it would, I guess, depend on the documentation as to whether or not this was a relevant factor in the particular patient encounter.
Thank You!

Question: If a patient has hypothyroidism and is on Levothyroxine is it appropriate to add the Z79.890? This is for Medicare patients. Auditors had said that we need to use this for hormone replacement. I get that, but if the patient is using it for a medical reason, do we still need to add this diagnosis? Thoughts?
Seems like the appropriate code to use, I don't see why you couldn't add it.

What makes you think this code is NOT for a medical reason? It doesn't say "illicit use of" or anything like that.